Monday, April 14, 2014

The Role of Popular Media In A Literacy Playshop

Working with a primary aged child to create a short film was eye opening for many reasons. After reading about literacy playshops in Karen Wohlwend’s Literacy Playshop: New Literacies, Popular Media, and Play in the Early Childhood Classroom, and in particular the roles that popular media could play in constructing a meaningful literacy experience, I was a bit skeptical. I had chosen to work with a kindergarten student and I clearly brought doubts to the playshop sessions as to what a kindergarten student could gain from this experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the vision and structure that Bobby’s story encapsulated. The use of a popular media toy franchise seemed to allow Bobby to focus on his story’s arrangement and not get bogged down in character development. While character development is an important literary device, Bobby’s knowledge of an existing character allowed him to quickly move into storytelling mode. I would hope that as Bobby’s literacy knowledge progresses, he will deal more with character development in future storytelling exercises.

The popular media franchise that I chose to use with my student was Batman. Bobby is obviously a Batman aficionado as I have seen him wearing Batman clothing, I’ve witnessed him playing with Batman toys, and he has told me about the Batman television show. The Batman franchise has been around for some time now; however, each generation seems to bring Batman back in a new and inventive commercial manner. The short film that I produced with Bobby had many elements of the typical Batman story: good vs. evil, technology, physical abilities, and Batman’s continuous need to fight crime.

I began by drawing up a storyboard and a list of characters and settings. Bobby didn’t seem interested in spending much time on the storyboard. He was very anxious to get started with the film. I explained that a storyboard is a great way to keep your ideas in order before you shoot the final film. I don’t believe he completely understood, but he did go along with the activity. His main focus was that he wanted to make sure that I knew his story was a battle between good and evil and that good always wins. After completing the storyboard, Bobby practiced the story a few times while I watched. He was intensely trying to remember what we had spoken about during our storyboarding, but did add a few different elements to the story when it came time to shoot the film. To my surprise, Bobby only needed two takes to film his story. The first take ended with him forgetting to include Batman’s car and he seemed genuinely upset about this. The second take went exactly as he had planned and he seemed very pleased. Also, he was very excited to see the film after we were done. I stopped the video halfway through, thinking that he just wanted to see that I had actually taken film of the story; however, he was not pleased with this and I had to start the video from the beginning and watch it in its entirety.


While Bobby was noticeably borrowing storylines from actual Batman movies or television shows, he did display an understanding of what elements needed to be present for the story to be complete. His story progressed by having a beginning, middle, and end, while expressing to the audience the theme of good vs. evil without using much dialogue or narration. I am very impressed with Bobby’s early literacy skills and am pleased that my skepticism was proven wrong. The literacy playshop definitely deserves a place in the primary classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment